Last month my very closest and dearest friend in Slovakia got married. She married a great guy from England who is a missionary in Slovakia.
Dearest, loveliest wifinečko!
In all honesty, the man she married was one I kind of found annoying when I first met him four years ago. Pompous, condescending and rude were words I thought of when I was around him. But then the Lord changed my heart... and maybe his?... about two years ago. I had a conversation with him regarding missions, the Church, ministry and the like wherein when I left that conversation, I saw this guy in a whole new light and perspective - one in which I could respect him and enjoy his company and the work he is doing in Slovakia with the church and youth there.
Bride and Groom
My friend, however, thought I still couldn't stand him. And this of course concerned her when she started talking to him more seriously. She didn't tell me who it was she was interested in until after they officially started dating. And despite my best efforts to assure her I really liked and respected the guy, she was nervous for most of the time they dated that I hated him, which couldn't be further from the truth! I really enjoyed getting to know him as the two of them dated and I realized what a mature person he was both in his faith and as an adult. I witnessed him handle situations with grace, wisdom, kindness and humbleness. While I was already pretty ecstatically happy for my friend, I became even more so when I realized the caliber of man she was marrying.
Closest and dearest friend and her great guy
The ceremony was beautiful; it was a mixture of English and Slovak as groom's side who flew in for the wedding from England didn't speak Slovak. The reception in the garden afterwards for all guests was fun and creative with poems, music and traditional Slovak wedding games for bride and groom.
~Vows~
Ľudka and me singing during the ceremony in both Slovak and English
Open reception in the garden for all guests
And then the private dinner. It was at a hotel in Slovakia and involved more traditional Slovak wedding fair - the bride and groom feed each soup; they introduce each of their guests to everyone and tell how they know them; they cut and serve the cake to their guests, to name a few.
Feeding each other soup
Groom's father giving a toast
Bride's father giving a toast
But since my friend married a Brit, there was also some Scottish Wedding dances involved! One of the guests taught 4 or 5 traditional dances; it was hilariously entertaining and great fun watching everyone stumble around!
First Dance
Learning Scottish dances!
"Get down, boogie!"
I can't remember a night when I've had that much fun until 1:30 in the morning. All in all, if I had to vote, best and most brilliant wedding reception ever!
Congratulations, D & G!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment