Monday, October 3, 2011

In a nutshell...

1. I'm in week five of school.
2. I've been nearly reduced to tears already by a second grader who decided to publicly mock me in a very rude manner in front of the entire class, who all laughed, and then another second grader who told me she was sad because she had to be in English class in a less than respectful tone.
3. I start Slovak lessons on Thursday with a lady whose children go to Narnia!
4. Free time and sleep have become total foreign concepts to me.
5. The first grade class is my favorite class to teach so far; I never knew teaching first grade could be so charming and rewarding. And it helps that I let them call me uhorka (cucumber) and Emil (sort of the boy version of my name, but they think it's funny because they say it with "Miss" in front of it) and kapusta (cabbage), and they can jump on me, climb me like Monkeys on a tree and throw lego's at me. What's not to like?
6. The weather is very fall-like here in Bystrica and I'm enjoying Autumn immensely with it's changing  colors and cold nights.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Ems! It sounds hellish! You know, I don't know anything about teaching a classroom, but if you wanted advice Dad might be a good one to ask. He seems to have survived many different types of classrooms through the years.

    Slovak lessons sound great! You can amaze us all with the music of the Slovak tongue at our next meeting. The beautiful and talented Miss Emil!

    I'll call soon - I didn't get your message until after the weekend was over.

    Much love, Katie

    ReplyDelete